Domestic Abuse (Women)

Domestic abuse or violence can happen to anyone. Domestic abuse can include physical, emotional or sexual abuse, as well as financial abuse. You can find out more about the different types of abuse, and signs to look out for, on the NHS Live Well website.

Domestic abuse can occur in relationships and between family members in the same household. It can happen to anyone, but there is support available.

National Domestic Abuse helpline

The National Domestic Abuse Helpline is a freephone 24 hour helpline which provides advice and support to women and can refer them to emergency accommodation.


Refuge‘s helpline offers advice and support to women experiencing domestic violence. Refuge also provide safe, emergency accommodation through a network of refuges throughout the UK, including culturally-specific services for women from minority ethnic communities and cultures.

Women’s Aid

The Women’s Aid website provides a wide range of resources to help women and young people. This includes The Survivor’s Handbook which provides a range of information including legal and housing advice, tips on how to create a safety plan and advice for people with specialist housing needs. It’s available in 11 languages and in audio. They also run a website to support to children and teenagers who may be living in a home affected by domestic violence, or who may be in a violent relationship themselves.

Rights of Women

Rights of Women offers confidential legal advice on domestic and sexual violence. You can find out more about what they do and when they’re open on their website.

Southall Black Sisters

Southall Black Sisters provide advice for Black (Asian and African-Caribbean) women with issues including domestic abuse, forced marriage, immigration and homelessness.

Respect Phoneline

Respect Phoneline offers information and advice to partners, friends and family who want to stop someone’s violent behaviour.

Karma Nirvana

Karma Nirvana is an award-winning British human rights charity supporting victims of honour-based abuse and forced marriage.

National Stalking Helpline

The National Stalking Helpline can provide advice on how to deal with any type of stalking behaviour. This includes advice on how to report the behaviour to the police, and what you can expect if you report something.

Victim Support

Victim Support have domestic abuse outreach services, which are provided by specialist caseworkers and volunteers who will work with you in the community, co-ordinating support and providing direct practical and emotional support. We work from health services, police stations, hospitals and community centres to provide information and support to a wide number of people.

FLOWS gives legal advice to women who are affected by domestic abuse – they also give advice to front line workers.

Action on Elder Abuse

Action on Elder Abuse gives confidential advice and information to older people who are victims of violence or abuse. A relative or friend of the person being abused can also contact the helpline on behalf of the older person. The helpline can be used in the case of older people who live at home, in a care home or who are in hospital.

Follow by Email
Font Resize